Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cable connection?

Jangles

Join
Feb 20, 2018
I don't have my spark yet, I watched a video where the guy connects his RC to the phone with a cable VS wifi to get a better connection, if you use a cable does that still use up data? Also I don't have a usb slot on my galaxy S8, how would one connect a cable to the phone or do I even need to do this?

No
Charging port
No/Maybe

Search OTG on this forum and go down that rabbit hole...

Jangles, I'm telling you Get that Spark! It'll change your life. Yes you'll regret your purchase. After you get your Spark you'll want a Phantom Pro, and an Autel, and the new mavic 2, and an Inspire. You'll ignore your friends and spend more time outside and feel compelled to "get that shot that you've been thinking about". Your Hobby will become your new passion. Yep, get that Spark, I dare you!

All that tech isn't actually that complicated and the members here will totally sort you out

Cheers

Many people are connecting their mobile device to the Spark remote controller via Wi-Fi. If you experience a lot of interference in the flying area, then you could try connecting your mobile device to the remote controller with a cable. When connected like that, you'll at least be able to rule out the Wi-Fi connection between the mobile device and remote controller as the cause of the issue.

how would one connect a cable to the phone or do I even need to do this?
You'll need to connect the cable that's compatible with your phone to an OTG cable (which plugs into the bottom of the Spark remote controller). The DJI OTG cable and UGREEN OTG cable are two commonly used OTB cables.

Thanks for the replies, so back to my question, if I turn off wifi and use otg cable will I not be using phone data? Do I plug cables into charging slot in bottom of phone? Thanks

Whether you use a cable or not has no effect on whether you will "be using your phone's data"?

I don't know what you mean by "charging slot", but you plug the cable in to the port on phone that you use to connect it to anything else.

For iPhone's, that is the lightning port. For Android phones, that is the USB port.

Presumably, your Galaxy S8 has a USB-C port. That's what you would use.

But as others have noted, you don't really need to do this. Just use WiFi to connect.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
Thanks for the help, the S8 does not have a usb, only a slot to plug in the charger but from what I've read about the latest firmware the s8 should work w/o the otg cable.

UGH..So why didn't you just tell me to get the little dongle and plug it in to the charge slot to accept the USB? Would have been more helpful, now if some moron asks the same question I'll be able to answer the question. Thanks YOU TUBE!!!

Last edited:
UGH..So why didn't you just tell me to get the little dongle and plug it in to the charge slot to accept the USB? Would have been more helpful, now if some moron asks the same question I'll be able to answer the question. Thanks YOU TUBE!!!

Lol. You're questions were answered multiple times. It was even stated that your phone has USB while you insisted it doesn't. You made yourself look really bad by blaming someone else for your lack of knowledge and understanding. Maybe stick to Youtube in the future

I insisted it did not have a USB because there's nowhere to plug in a USB unless you use an adapter to plug the USB into the battery charging slot on the bottom of the phone. I did not understand why no one said the charging slot actually becomes a USB when you use the adapter.

I insisted it did not have a USB because there's nowhere to plug in a USB unless you use an adapter to plug the USB into the battery charging slot on the bottom of the phone. I did not understand why no one said the charging slot actually becomes a USB when you use the adapter.
The "charging slot" as you keep calling it is a USB-C port. It is. It's not a micro USB port, but no one said that it was.

Never heard of a USB-C port till now so never would have known to look on amazon. I called it a charging slot because that's where I plug in the charger every night. that's why I'm in this forum, to learn these things Thanks again for everyone's help.

According to the reviews here, that cable is directional and will not work since the host end plugs into the mobile device.
Ah, probably so. But the OP didn't seem to understand that his phone does, in fact, have a USB port. Although as been discussed ad nauseam, it's really a moot point anyway since the OTG cable isn't supported currently on Android and isn't necessary anyway.

Dude do you not realize your charging slot is your USB slot dude, no you don't need no adapter, what style is the USB you use to charge your phone?

Also if your phone is an Android otg cable or the adapter will work but you will not be able to see how many satellites your drone has, DJI go 4 using otg does not have the correct support yet which really sucks Jangles!

Dude do you not realize your charging slot is your USB slot dude, no you don't need no adapter, what style is the USB you use to charge your phone?
This whole thread got wacky because I did not know my charging slot could hold a USB (with the adapter sitting in the box my phone came with) that I never needed to use, I don't know what style my charge plug is, just a skinny little plug.
I guess it doesn't matter anymore since android is not supported with OTG, Hopefully wifi will be solid, I should have my new spark in about a week..Whoopee!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers