Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Best tablet for spark

I own five Android devices. All of them work just fine. Then again, I know how to set up Android devices to run DJI GO efficiently. That seems to be the main stumbling block people run into.
I'm with Msinger. I have the S7. I have the note 3 and my son has the Samsung tab Pro.

All older devices with probably the exception of the S7 which is still a solid device.

The route that took me to an iPad and Huwei Xt2 Ascend "wunderphone" is the following.

I didn't want to use my S7 which is my main phone. I did use my Note 3 and with Msingers help/posts I got it to run relatively solid. No crash for that matter. However it's an OLD device and I was already having issues with it a year or two ago with the battery. Although I have replaced the battery and even have a spare it's a pain the butt. (Note 3 had replaceable batteries)

Now I wanted a slightly larger screen so I tried out my son's Samsung tab Pro. Although it's not on the approved list for DJI it did work. Should I trust it I'm completely not sure but from my two three or four flights with it it was pretty solid.

Then I stumbled upon the Huawei xt2 Ascend in one of the post here. It was cheap enough to replace my Note 3 and not deal with the battery issues. Did I have to do it? Probably not but it was so inexpensive that it was almost a no-brainer.

Now wanting to have a larger screen and the deals that was going on for the iPad Mini 4 being less than $300 especially when all the reviews have been great with it I decided to purchase one. I know is an Apple device but it seems like an Apple device is the way to go that works well with the DJI app. I'm not saying that an Android device will not work well I think I would just turned off that in order for me to get the most out of the Android device I had to downgrade the app version to 4.1.15 whereas we are already at 4.1.22 to which was just released a few days ago. This still didn't address the issues I was having with the OTG issue with my spark and what not. It wasn't really a big deal but with the version 4.1.15 it definitely made it more solid.

Now I have two options the Huawei android device as well as the iPad Mini 4 which gives me a little bit more screen real estate and still keeping it small and having the best of both worlds.

Quite honestly it is a lot of money when you think about it and trying to find the right device and in a perfect world my Android device should be the only one I will be using but unfortunately there seems to be more of a favor on Apple devices with a DJI app. Once again I'm not saying that you can't use it Android device I just don't like the fact that it's not a solid as an Apple device without having to downgrade anything.

Reactions: amir
I already spend over 650 pounds on the combo and extra battery i didnt want to spend more extra on a ipad mini any suggestions on a good android
Now as far as you spending 650 lb on the Drone already and not wanting to spend an additional on an iPad Mini. I fully understand. ask for me with all the research I have done for finding the right Android tablet. I still haven't found the magical tablet. It's not like the iPad Mini 4 and the reviews that it has been getting.

Like I said I have a Samsung Tab Pro which works but I don't trust it as much especially when it's not fully supported by DJI. I'm sure you can possibly try out other Samsung tablets and it may work but if it's not on the approved list you're on your own so to speak. I have seen also the Huawei T2 which I know some folks have been able to get to work solidly but once again they had to downgrade to I think version 4.1.9 which is like many versions to where we're at today. It's not a big deal and if it works it works but you do lose certain functionalities that the new DJI Go app offers. Of course those new functionalities isn't really all that great or life-changing that you need it. Furthermore the Huawei T2 tablet I think is less than 60 lb from what I have seen and for an inexpensive device it's worth a shot. I can't say how long this device will last you but I think if you get 2 years out of it it's a good investment I don't know what is in the Horizon where the DJI Go app for future versions of the the app whether the device will get outdated.

With that said it's tough for me to really suggest any Android tablet. There is also one tablet that I think I should note and that is the Nvidia Shield K1 which is probably the most solid Android tablet that is available but even then based on what I have seen people are having issues with it.

Of course if you really want to stick with Android and money is no object I would recommend the Crystal Sky which is what I would have done if I had close to$1,000 to burn. [emoji16]

Now as far as you spending 650 lb on the Drone already and not wanting to spend an additional on an iPad Mini. I fully understand. ask for me with all the research I have done for finding the right Android tablet. I still haven't found the magical tablet. It's not like the iPad Mini 4 and the reviews that it has been getting.

Like I said I have a Samsung Tab Pro which works but I don't trust it as much especially when it's not fully supported by DJI. I'm sure you can possibly try out other Samsung tablets and it may work but if it's not on the approved list you're on your own so to speak. I have seen also the Huawei T2 which I know some folks have been able to get to work solidly but once again they had to downgrade to I think version 4.1.9 which is like many versions to where we're at today. It's not a big deal and if it works it works but you do lose certain functionalities that the new DJI Go app offers. Of course those new functionalities isn't really all that great or life-changing that you need it. Furthermore the Huawei T2 tablet I think is less than 60 lb from what I have seen and for an inexpensive device it's worth a shot. I can't say how long this device will last you but I think if you get 2 years out of it it's a good investment I don't know what is in the Horizon where the DJI Go app for future versions of the the app whether the device will get outdated.

With that said it's tough for me to really suggest any Android tablet. There is also one tablet that I think I should note and that is the Nvidia Shield K1 which is probably the most solid Android tablet that is available but even then based on what I have seen people are having issues with it.

Of course if you really want to stick with Android and money is no object I would recommend the Crystal Sky which is what I would have done if I had close to$1,000 to burn. [emoji16]
Thanks for your valuable advice it seems ipad mini 4 is the way forward.

I bought a mini 4 for my drone specifically and there has been no issues for 3 days!

Have a Samsung phone with the Super Amoled display. These are super bright outside. Get a used one and dedicate it for use with the controller. Make sure it is a quad core and at least Android 5.0 or later.

I have a kindle fire that I installed the google play store on - it’s been too cold out to try it though. I was wanting to use OTG with it but after reading around, it looks like that may not happen anymore.

My iPad mini2 works great. Bought used out of EB@y especially for my Spark. Note you cannot install DJGo4 on an iPad mini1.

My iPad mini2 works great. Bought used out of EB@y especially for my Spark. Note you cannot install DJGo4 on an iPad mini1.
Currently im using my s7 edge but from previous threads i understand apple products are better,would a Wi-Fi only version work as for gps and maps etc and would it limitate some of the features of the dji go 4 app.

would a Wi-Fi only version work as for gps and maps etc and would it limitate some of the features of the dji go 4 app.
If using a Wi-Fi only mobile device, the only thing you won't be able to do is reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

iPad mini 2, only difference to mini 3 is no fingerprint reader. Both have the Retina Display.

I had never had any Apple products before but I found a used iPad Mini 2 for about $65 US specifically for my Spark. Works just fine.

My ipad mini 2 works perfectly, no issues [emoji3][emoji106], I use it only or my Spark

Concerning a WIFI only device, I am using an old spare phone dedicated for the remote. I removed the sim card as per a post on another forum. Will home point and current location be working?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe