Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Best firmware for EU?

Pe11e

Join
Feb 7, 2018
Not sure how to explain this, but I've heard that new .0900 firmware is not consistent regarding distance. I'm currently using it, and I can't breach 800-900m with OTG and FCC mod, in the fields/countryside far from houses. My RC is on .0300, maybe that's the issue?
Also for some reason RC always connects to channel 149 on 5.8ghz, which is the worst possible choice here around houses, delay is huge and interference is almost at a maximum level, resulting that is almost impossible to control the Spark. When using OTG I can't even see the channel chart in the app so I can react. Also when not using OTG, never succeed changing to another channel or to 2.4ghz.
Any help will be appappreciated.

Last edited:
The firmware makes no difference to the range you're allowed- that is controlled by the app, which sets the decibel rating of the 5.8 bandwidth. I use the fcc, OTG cable and .0900 firmware. It feels like a really solid setup. The only crashes I get are occasionally on quickshots- but I get those on the 4.1.22 app as well.

I'd say that 800-900m is pretty **** good, actually. That's about what I would expect from the Spark. I know the official documents say 2km, but that is only achievable in perfect conditions.

Playing devil's advocate here: why do you want to go farther than 900m? That's far out of line of sight as it is, and I feel you're risking losing your drone.

If you're using Android, your drone will always connect on 5.8 when you use a wifi connection to your phone, because Android phones can't/won't receive 5.8 band wifi signals. Therefore, the remote controller defaults to using 2.4 to communicate with the phone, and 5.8 to control the drone. Hence the need for OTG in Europe.

Don't need otg you lose telemetry I fly WiFi only I get 1000meters on 5.8ghz in a built up area not one field in sight I use Alfa apa m25 dual band panel antennas

Thanks for an explanation.

I'm current;y using .300 firmware as I've heard that is the most stable using NLD mod, but I'm disappointed after I saw that Sphere Pano isn't available. My new record is 1100m, and I could go even more, but no need atm really. Best thing is that I achieved that distance using only Wi-Fi (forgot to take the OTG cable lol). I have some areas around the river that are difficult to reach by the foot, so I must be on a nearby hill which is 500-600m away to film the swamps and birds around the river. That is actually the only reason at the moment, but I'm sure I will encounter more unreachable places in the future that I want to film.

I also fly using an OTG cable, Android device and 4.1.14 NDL modded app. Thinking to update to .600 firmware to get Sphere Pano option. NLD modded app has an option to switch to 2.4ghz while using an OTG cable, but I didn't tested that yet, maybe that option is available only for iOS.

Now I'm not sure .300 is responsible for my 1100m distance. If it is, then it is true that someone are saying that with .900 firmware you will see shorter distances.

Cheers

Don't need otg you lose telemetry I fly WiFi only I get 1000meters on 5.8ghz in a built up area not one field in sight I use Alfa apa m25 dual band panel antennas

Yes, you will lose telemetry with DJI GO 4.2.4, 4.2.6, etc. I'm using 4.1.14 and OTG is working fine, much stable transmision and video feed.

I get perfect transmission on 5.8ghz no otg and I could have pushed past 1000 meters but didn't wanna take the risk I have tested otg vs no otg and because I only use 5.8 I get the same sort of distance and no latency issues it's all in the antennas not the otg trust me

Updated to. 900, waiting for next weekend to test it since it's subzero here in the next 5 days. Flew two times with .300, but I realised that I don't want to risk it since DJI implemented couple of patches, for drone power off during the flight and stability. Better to be on a safe side, and if something bad happens DJI will see that I'm fully updated.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe