Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Bald Eagles filmed via Spark. Does this break any laws?

BingErr

Join
Sep 28, 2017
Saw some Bald Eagles flying two days ago so yesterday I stopped near their nest and filmed them. I approached the nest for probably less than 30 seconds and then did not return. Bald Eagle flew right back to the nest to guard his/her egg after I backed off. I disturbed them as little as possible while trying to see what was in the nest? Does this break any laws? I googled it but didn't see any I was in violation of.

EDIT:
Here's the follow up video after speaking with Fish and Wildlife Agency

Last edited:
In Pennsylvania, it is against the law to harass wildlife with a drone. And Besides, if an eagle and a Spark tangled, I think your spark would loose !

Eagle VS Spark would make for a great video though. Some people chimed in on the DJI Forums and it appears there is no similar law in MN.

The Bald Eagle is no longer on the Endangered Species list so the protections of the Endangered Species Act no longer apply, however, eagles are still protected by a number of other laws including the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the Lacey Act. You can't kill them. You can't pursue them. You can't disturb them. You probably got a lot closer to the nest than you should have.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Bald Eagle

Reactions: BingErr
Legislation about disturbing wildlife is here in Texas too. At one of the state parks, I asked the park superintendent if I could fly. He said I could not for 2 reasons. 4.9mi within the airport to get clearance with and 2) wild turkey reserve - can't disturb the wild life
However, he went on to say "If you take the main highway to the right as you exit the park, there is a pull off overlooking the park. That is the 5 mile from the airport and outside the park. You should be able to get the shot you want from there".
You just never know about asking permission.

Reactions: BingErr
The Bald Eagle is no longer on the Endangered Species list so the protections of the Endangered Species Act no longer apply, however, eagles are still protected by a number of other laws including the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the Lacey Act. You can't kill them. You can't pursue them. You can't disturb them. You probably got a lot closer to the nest than you should have.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Bald Eagle
Good to know.

Saw some Bald Eagles flying two days ago so yesterday I stopped near their nest and filmed them. I approached the nest for probably less than 30 seconds and then did not return. Bald Eagle flew right back to the nest to guard his/her egg after I backed off. I disturbed them as little as possible while trying to see what was in the nest? Does this break any laws? I googled it but didn't see any I was in violation of.

If it is illegal, take it off the net. This is how pilots are getting busted. I don’t post anything anymore. Hence the lower quality camera drone.

I think the Eagle was letting you know you were to close by flying away leaving the nest so the drone would fellow her and leave the eggs alone. I think you just got to close Nice video anyway

Funny this thread popped up. Here's a pic that I snapped just eagle 039.JPG yesterday. No, it's not from my Spark, it's from my crappy old Cannon camera which is why the quality is so poor

Reactions: burrzoo

Bing! You helped me with tiny planets in an alternate universe:)
Goto 5.00

Update on this Video:
I contacted the local DNR and State DNR, and neither got back to me. Then yesterday I got a message from the Fish and Wildlife Serivce out of St Paul. I thanked them for getting back to me and they didn't know anything about my emails. The video was reported to them and they reviewed it and decided to contact me. They want the video removed because they said "It appears to harrass the eagles". I made my case that the Spark is very small and that would be like a cat harrassing a lion but he said that because the eagles moved when they saw it then counted as "disturbing" them. I agreed that the video would be taken down by the end of the week and I'll put up a follow up video of the laws they cited. The claim they made is very subjective. It does not list safe distances you can view or shoot video. I'll make a follow up video explaining this whole thing. Thanks

Reactions: MikeSpark

It was quite obvious by the video, that it was more just a “target of opportunity” and not you going out of your way to photograph it, or videotape it. It just appeared. Curiosity did the rest.
Treasure it though, great footage of a magnificent icon.
YouTUBE has to be used with care.

Here's my video of a lot of the phone call with a Fish and Wildlife Service Agent. I made this video so others can gain this information and insight reguarding flying drones and recording around Bald Eagles and other wildlife.

Sorry it took me a while to think of this but first off, thanks for getting that information.
Very valuable.

I would have asked "Don't the Eagles get disturbed with FWS install streaming video cameras?" :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry it took me a while to think of this but first off, thanks for getting that information.
Very valuable.

I would have asked "Don't the Eagles get disturbed with FWS install streaming video cameras?" :eek::eek::eek:
Yes, but they most likely are following a proper, prescribed protocol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme