Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone use a dedicated device with Spark?

Mike Gatlin

Join
Feb 15, 2018
I've seen a Youtuber suggest getting a dedicated device to use when flying the spark. I currently use my daily Pixel XL and it is always a hassle to turn off mobile data then connect via WIFI to the RC. Also, the cache stores takes up tons of room. Wondering if anyone else uses a dedicated device. Considering buying something cheap (Under $100) should I go Android or iOS (ipod touch?)

I've seen a Youtuber suggest getting a dedicated device to use when flying the spark. I currently use my daily Pixel XL and it is always a hassle to turn off mobile data then connect via WIFI to the RC. Also, the cache stores takes up tons of room. Wondering if anyone else uses a dedicated device. Considering buying something cheap (Under $100) should I go Android or iOS (ipod touch?)
I use a Samsung Tab, about $149, and it works just fine. I don't use this tablet for anything else.
Firestat in Ohio

I use an old 16GB Nexus 5 with no SIM and set to airplane mode with only WiFi on.

Works fine but, as with most phones, could do with a brighter screen.

This will be the better of all the setups, to have a dedicated tablet/phone for the drone(s). I use a dedicated iPad mini 2 that was taking dust around the house with OTG cable (which is not recommended in this site by the experts and which I am thinking of dumping but not before I do additional testing since right now this setting works like a champ -no issues).

Reactions: bath1968
I use an old Alcatel Idol 3 I had gathering dust. No sim card. It has a better screen for viewing outside than the phone I use daily. I have reset it to only have the DJI app. No major problems yet. At some point I hope to move up to some type of tablet.

I use my old Nexus 6P, disabled/uninstalled EVERYTHING that wasn't needed, running in AP mode

Mi A1 did the trick for me, and IPad Mini 2 wich I dont use so often anymore since the Xiaomi handles everything perfect. And the price is good also, sub 200 dollar

I use a dedicated iPad Air 2 for all my drones, it is a little overkill for the spark. I occasionally use my Pixel XL with the Spark though.

I'm using an old Tesco Hudl 2 Tablet with my spark works OK so far. Initially I had used a cleared out Sony 8gig M2 which worked though very laggy.

I'm using an old Tesco Hudl 2 Tablet with my spark works OK so far. Initially I had used a cleared out Sony 8gig M2 which worked though very laggy.

I've also used a Hudl 2, worked fine for me too, but won't fit in the remote.
Would also be good if it could be rooted to remove the Tesco junk.

I have a 2017 iPad and my iphone 8+. Am I wasting money getting an ipad mini 4 vs just using my current ipad? They are $299 for the 128gb mini at Walmart right now and it would be convenient.

I have a 2017 iPad and my iphone 8+. Am I wasting money getting an ipad mini 4 vs just using my current ipad? They are $299 for the 128gb mini at Walmart right now and it would be convenient.
I LOVE my mini 4 with the Spark. I like that it fits right in the controller without a bracket and don’t worry about balance issues with the tablet hovering over the controller or about the tablet blocking my view of the controls, etc.

$299 is a pretty good price for what’s in my opinion the perfect sized tablet. It’ll fit in a jacket inside pocket and many other places. Perfect compliment to a super portable Spark.

I LOVE my mini 4 with the Spark. I like that it fits right in the controller without a bracket and don’t worry about balance issues with the tablet hovering over the controller or about the tablet blocking my view of the controls, etc.

$299 is a pretty good price for what’s in my opinion the perfect sized tablet. It’ll fit in a jacket inside pocket and many other places. Perfect compliment to a super portable Spark.

For full disclosure I also have an iPad Air 2 but would never use it with the Spark since the mini is just such a great match for the Spark.

I use an ipad mini4 128g as well. I bought it for the Spark exclusively. Amazon purchase. I generally use the ipad 4 when the flight requires better detail, nothing worse than trying to make out an object on a small device. So of course depending on the subject matter. But for messing around doing low level flying, where line of sight works best, due to my proximity to the Spark. I use an ipod touch 6. Something light, compact and easier to attach a sunhood. This I also bought for my Spark. ....I know, I spoil her rotten.

I use an ipad mini4 128g as well. I bought it for the Spark exclusively. Amazon purchase. I generally use the ipad 4 when the flight requires better detail, nothing worse than trying to make out an object on a small device. So of course depending on the subject matter. But for messing around doing low level flying, where line of sight works best, due to my proximity to the Spark. I use an ipod touch 6. Something light, compact and easier to attach a sunhood. This I also bought for my Spark. ....I know, I spoil her rotten.

Will it fit with a slim skin iPad case?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit