Android app permissions

Discussion in 'Firmware & Software Discussion' started by magicpilot, Jan 26, 2018.

1. magicpilot

magicpilot New Member

Hi. I just ordered the mavic air from dji store. I am getting second thoughts after checking the rights required by the Android application in order to be installed.
    Anyone else with the same concern?

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

If you're concerned about it, another option would be to use an Apple device.

3. suprPHREAK

suprPHREAK Well-Known Member

What's your concern? I'll see if I can explain the permissions.

Keep in mind: GO4 is used for a LOT of products, so some of the permissions may not actually relate to using a Spark/Air. Keep in mind things like OSMO, etc when looking at these.

Allows GO4 to see if any apps are running which may conflict with operation. Examples include a task killer, or another flight app (Litchi, older GO). Also allows it to call up process embedded in other apps for sharing, such as streaming to YouTube or Facebook.

Used for the sharing features within the app, such as live streaming.

Needed for map information within the app.

Needed to handle phone calls incoming during app use. No, it doesn't make calls to anyone.

Needed in order to write its own logs, save pictures and video, etc.

Used with Osmo mobile, which uses your phone camera.

Used with Osmo, but also records your voice to the cached video from your Spark.

To find the Spark/RC wifi hotspot.

Uses your device's UUID/IMEI for logging purposes.

Lots here, but should be self explanatory.

4. suprPHREAK

suprPHREAK Well-Known Member

Apple allows the same permissions, just names them differently. Android is, for better or worse, VERY transparent to what permissions are used, much to the chagrin of those who don't understand what they are for. I do wish more companies would explicitly say why they need each one, but a lot of it has to do with needing one permission in order to use another.

5. Makerpas

Makerpas Member

You are right , this is one of the differences between Android and iPhone , there are limits to any app,but we can also break through this limitation. i have app which can support me to sync Android to iPhone , this is also a kind of app that breaks through cell phone restrictions.