Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Altitude Conundrum

I don't get it how you could fly at night as it stated in the rules that no flying after sundown and before day break. I saw guys on youtube doing that and is it legal at all?
As a hobbyist there in nothing preventing you from flying at night, again another misunderstanding between hobbyists and commercial ops (FAR Part 101.41, 43, Section 336 vs FAR Part 107). If you operate under the AMA's safety guidelines, they allow night operations. Night operations are only illegal under Part 107 however for commercial ops you can get a waiver.

I occasionally fly in my back yard at night which is 3.8 miles from a medical center heliport. I always call - but no one ever answers. After about 5:00 PM you just get an answering machine. I really don't know if they operate at night or not.

I occasionally fly in my back yard at night which is 3.8 miles from a medical center heliport. I always call - but no one ever answers. After about 5:00 PM you just get an answering machine. I really don't know if they operate at night or not.
And you are doing exactly what you're supposed to do.

So as recreational flyer it is 400ft from the postion of the Spark? Even if it is on a 200ft cliff? Which will make it 600ft total? Do I understand this correct?

So as recreational flyer it is 400ft from the postion of the Spark? Even if it is on a 200ft cliff? Which will make it 600ft total? Do I understand this correct?
Not exactly sure what you are asking.

For ANY operation, the recommended maximum altitude is measured where the drone is physically located at any given time.

The guidelines for hobby/recreation flight state that you should remain under 400 AGL (above ground level).

If you launch and fly to an altitude of 400 feet AGL and then fly over the edge of a cliff that drops off 200 feet, then you will likely not be in compliance with the guideline unless you reduce the altitude of the drone.

Note that the Spark will ONLY show the altitude above the takeoff point. It doesn't know how far you are above the ground.

Reactions: jurgens26
Not exactly sure what you are asking.

For ANY operation, the recommended maximum altitude is measured where the drone is physically located at any given time.

The guidelines for hobby/recreation flight state that you should remain under 400 AGL (above ground level).

If you launch and fly to an altitude of 400 feet AGL and then fly over the edge of a cliff that drops off 200 feet, then you will likely not be in compliance with the guideline unless you reduce the altitude of the drone.

Note that the Spark will ONLY show the altitude above the takeoff point. It doesn't know how far you are above the ground.

Lol reading my post again makes no sense. Apologies. You pretty much answered my question that was in my head but did not came out as intended when written. Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran