Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airspace

I am not sure either. I assume that because I already had a certification this was just an add on so no cost to me and I did it online through the FAA website. Not sure how it works for those starting from scratch and certainly not sure what it will be in the future. Sorry not to be of more help.

You mite want to get the 107 test prep 2018 book to check out it has all you need to know in it to start off
it's only 19.99 or you can fine a used one cheaper.

Forgive me, I don’t know much about getting started! There are several books (private pilot, commercial, etc.) - I assume there must be different levels? Which one do I start with? And passing this $150 test, can I then do real estate for pay? Thanks

Forgive me, I don’t know much about getting started! There are several books (private pilot, commercial, etc.) - I assume there must be different levels? Which one do I start with? And passing this $150 test, can I then do real estate for pay? Thanks

Start here;

Fly under the Small UAS Rule

You could use on line study material which is FREE or use one of the many study guides available.

One example - Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools

Once you think you're ready to take the test you go to an FAA testing center. These are the same places people take tests for their written pilot's certificates and additional ratings.

CATS| Drone Knowledge Test

The test in most places is $150 from what I understand.

Good Luck!

Hello, friends - I'm new, so I hope this isn't already covered somewhere! In a trial download of KittyHawk, I was looking at maps - it appears I'm in some big yellow circles that I assume is some sort of airspace. In the DJI Go 4 app, it says something about airport and/or teleport or something, I think? I didn't think I was within 5 miles of the airport, but I am of the local hospital, so I'm assuming they have a heliport or something to transport patients. Anyway, I don't understand the airspace thing.

My question: Can someone point me in the right direction of looking in DJI Go 4 (or maybe some other DJI app) of local airspace and how to follow the rules and be legal? I have flown it in my neighborhood, which is in some sort of airspace, and I don't know if I'm legal or not. When I got too far, something popped up on my screen that said I must accept responsibility, etc., etc. - I clicked yes and then turned it around and hightailed it home! By the way, I'm in South Carolina.

Loving my little "Sparky"! Thanks in advance!
You should download Airmap. It's a recommended app by the FAA and it shows all the different levels of airspace around you, and the rules for flight within the particular airspace you are curious about. Must have for a drone flyer.

Thank you all! You’ve given me a lot of info and I’m truly grateful! I’m learning a lot already and am beginning to study in prep for the test already - there’s a lot to it! But I’m gonna do it and be legit!

I made a neighbor mad the other night - he called me a punk on our neighborhood Facebook page for flying my drone over the neighborhood. He said he was in law enforcement and didn’t appreciate that I was flying my drone close enough to his house to read his license plate, and that he didn’t want his family to be in jeopardy. He also said I was asking for trouble.

First, he didn’t know me nor me him. He didn’t know who was flying the drone, and I didn’t/don’t know where he lives. Second, I responded to the post that his family was not in jeopardy because of my hobby, that I wasn’t trying to bother or upset anyone, that it was dark and I wasn’t trying to read his license plate, and that I wasn’t breaking any laws. And third, I asked if that was a threat (me asking for trouble) - I did delete that part later per my wife’s request (she said not to get confrontational with a cop) - he was being a jerk, and I’m not a punk!

BUT, I’ve just recently learned I’m not supposed to fly at night! The rest of that FB thread was me saying I was just trying to learn my drone’s features and not trying to upset anyone. A couple posts from neighbors defended me in saying that we should be civil and just ask me not to fly near his house (again, I don’t know him or where he lives), and to not be name calling on the Facebook neighborhood forum as we’re all neighbors. I think he thought I was just a kid, but I’m a grown man - he didn’t post anything else, and the “social media confrontation” died, which is good - but I was wrong for flying at night. I think he was just being a jerk, though, because he didn’t “like” some punk flying over his house - but that’s not illegal, right?

Thank you all! You’ve given me a lot of info and I’m truly grateful! I’m learning a lot already and am beginning to study in prep for the test already - there’s a lot to it! But I’m gonna do it and be legit!

I made a neighbor mad the other night - he called me a punk on our neighborhood Facebook page for flying my drone over the neighborhood. He said he was in law enforcement and didn’t appreciate that I was flying my drone close enough to his house to read his license plate, and that he didn’t want his family to be in jeopardy. He also said I was asking for trouble.

First, he didn’t know me nor me him. He didn’t know who was flying the drone, and I didn’t/don’t know where he lives. Second, I responded to the post that his family was not in jeopardy because of my hobby, that I wasn’t trying to bother or upset anyone, that it was dark and I wasn’t trying to read his license plate, and that I wasn’t breaking any laws. And third, I asked if that was a threat (me asking for trouble) - I did delete that part later per my wife’s request (she said not to get confrontational with a cop) - he was being a jerk, and I’m not a punk!

BUT, I’ve just recently learned I’m not supposed to fly at night! The rest of that FB thread was me saying I was just trying to learn my drone’s features and not trying to upset anyone. A couple posts from neighbors defended me in saying that we should be civil and just ask me not to fly near his house (again, I don’t know him or where he lives), and to not be name calling on the Facebook neighborhood forum as we’re all neighbors. I think he thought I was just a kid, but I’m a grown man - he didn’t post anything else, and the “social media confrontation” died, which is good - but I was wrong for flying at night. I think he was just being a jerk, though, because he didn’t “like” some punk flying over his house - but that’s not illegal, right?
Don't be intimidated by bullies. As long as you aren't doing anything illegal (respecting privacy and other laws), you are fine. Note that I'm pretty sure that his license plate can be read by anyone standing in the public street ... and probably easier that you can with your drone. This is a spurious complaint on his part. Don't engage him if he continues this behavior. Just follow the rules. Flying over someone's house is not illegal. However, it makes good sense to not fly low over someone's house. Maintain a good elevation.

Cops don't vent on neighbourhood Facebook pages. They use the tools available to then to educate and enforce the law. People who want to act internet tough claim to be law in order to intimidate.

BUT, I’ve just recently learned I’m not supposed to fly at night!

Actually, as a recreational flyer under FAA Part 101, section 336, there is no restriction on night flying. There is also nothing stating you are limited to the 400feet height that a lot of people seem to think.

However, under Part 107, commercial flying is limited to no more than 400ft and no flying at night.

Here is a nice site that summarizes all of the rules: Model Aircraft Operations

Airmap is a wonderful app. You can put in the projected flight and it will give you all the airspace warnings with restrictions. It also gives you updated phone numbers for the conflicting entities that you may encounter and need to notify. Extremely simple to use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme