Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airspace

Rekanix

Join
Feb 27, 2018
Hello, friends - I'm new, so I hope this isn't already covered somewhere! In a trial download of KittyHawk, I was looking at maps - it appears I'm in some big yellow circles that I assume is some sort of airspace. In the DJI Go 4 app, it says something about airport and/or teleport or something, I think? I didn't think I was within 5 miles of the airport, but I am of the local hospital, so I'm assuming they have a heliport or something to transport patients. Anyway, I don't understand the airspace thing.

My question: Can someone point me in the right direction of looking in DJI Go 4 (or maybe some other DJI app) of local airspace and how to follow the rules and be legal? I have flown it in my neighborhood, which is in some sort of airspace, and I don't know if I'm legal or not. When I got too far, something popped up on my screen that said I must accept responsibility, etc., etc. - I clicked yes and then turned it around and hightailed it home! By the way, I'm in South Carolina.

Loving my little "Sparky"! Thanks in advance!

This is not the easiest question in the world to answer. There are 2 classifications of drone pilots - FAA Licensed and Hobbyist. Then there are a 4 categories of airports. I will assume that you are a hobbyist. If this is the case you need to get PRIOR approval to fly in any of these airports airspace. With the airports that have no Control Tower this is not very difficult. If you are within 5 miles (as the crow flies) Give them a call. Tell them who you are, where and when you will be flying and the general purpose of your flight e.g. practicing, taking pictures, etc. Ask them if that is ok and what should you do in the future to gain approval. With "more controlled airports" you actually have to know if you are in their airspace and then get written approval in advance and this is NOT very simple or easy to do. An app like B4UFly will help you ID where you are and what kind of airspace you are in. I know this is not what you were looking to hear but .....

You mite want to get the 107 test prep 2018 book to check out it has all you need to know in it to start off
it's only 19.99 or you can fine a used one cheaper.

Wow! There's a lot to this stuff! This is the video that I made today, and the kind of stuff I like to do as a hobbiest
but even that said something about unpaved airports and to fly with caution? I would like to eventually get into commercial stuff, but I know there are a lot of people doing that - but this FASCINATES me! I'd like to try and sell some of my pictures as screensavers or whatever - would I get in trouble for selling them, and if I can sell them, any recommendations on where and how? Thanks - love the Spark! We made it out a full mile today!

Nice video if your looking to make money you are going to have to get your 107 to do commercial work or you could
be fined i was tolled it was like a 1000.00 fine if the FAA catches you and 11,000,00 to the company that got it from you.
The 107 cost 150.00 for the test but it's better then the fine if they catch you. Good luck your video was very good keep them coming
i Sub on youtube

Reactions: Rekanix
Ok. Wow - I don’t get it. Well, the picture resolution on the Spark isn’t high enough that I’d want to sell it, but I want to upgrade my drone eventually. But, I will try and sell pictures I’ve taken with my DSLR - I wonder why that’s ok but not with the drone? Same stuff (rivers, trees, mountains), just a different camera?

I wonder why that’s ok but not with the drone? Same stuff (rivers, trees, mountains), just a different camera?

Your camera doesn't fly in the FAA airspace autonomously.

Put your camera on a 200' tripod and you should be good to go.
Course you'll probably need a permit for that too.:D

Reactions: Rafa7
As I said above this is not the easiest thing in the world to explain. I am a licensed private pilot and have added FAA 107 UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) to my ticket. The FAA isn't the only presiding laws, there are states, cities, etc. etc. As BIGLUG24 said get the book or what I did was just went on the FAA website and got the info there. I'm not sure if anyone can do that or if you have to have a login and password.
With regard to "selling" it is not just pictures it is anything you do with the drone. For instance, helping a roofer or homeowner by looking at a roof after a hurricane. Even is you don't personally make a cent, you are helping folks who are profiting from the use of the drone. Once again. Will you get caught for helping your Grandmother's roofing contractor check out a shingle on her roof? Likely not, but if someone wants to make life difficult for you they certainly can. And I have found that dealing with the FAA is not easy when you are attempting to do the correct thing, let alone skirt their laws.
Sorry to pee in your Wheaties, but thought this might help a bit. If you really want to know spend 2 - 4 hours reading the laws. The other thing is not to publicize the questionable things you are doing if you don't really want HELP.

Enjoy

Well, good for you. You are MUCH quicker and smarter than me. It took me a week of spare time studying, plowing through the FAA website and reading to pass my test.

Best of luck.

Well, good for you. You are MUCH quicker and smarter than me. It took me a week of spare time studying, plowing through the FAA website and reading to pass my test.

Best of luck.

How long is your ticket for, 2 years? And, what will it take to re-new it then, test/$$? Thanks.

How long is your ticket for, 2 years? And, what will it take to re-new it then, test/$$? Thanks.
You have to be recertified every 24 months. At this point, the FAA has not specified what format the recertifcation will take other than the initial language in the CFR saying that you have to take the knowledge test again. And presumably, the fee to take the test will be the same.

People are hoping that the FAA will produce an online test for re-certification, but thus far, they have not.

Reactions: Rafa7
You have to be recertified every 24 months. At this point, the FAA has not specified what format the recertifcation will take other than the initial language in the CFR saying that you have to take the knowledge test again. And presumably, the fee to take the test will be the same.

People are hoping that the FAA will produce an online test for re-certification, but thus far, they have not.
I see, thanks. That make sense, if not defined then the current status stands to re-certify.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers