Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airport authorization

Jeplane

Join
May 26, 2017
Loc
Dallas, TX
Let’s say I ask for an authorization to fly out of an untowered airport.

How long does the answer take?

What do they do on their end? Do they give you a code/passowrd?
How does it work?
Thanks!

The deal is you notify the airport of your flight.
As a hobbyist, you are not asking permission.

Back in December when the McCarran Tower found out I was flying hobbyist he gave me the local FAA number, took my information down and told me "Sounds like you are asking permission. You do know you are informing us to let us know where your flight is - informational purposes? We cannot stop you as hobbyist."
Double checked with the FAA and he was correct.

You are just notifying the tower, not asking permission.

Email is the best form to notify.
Say like the towerless airport has no manager on the weekend and you are going to fly near, send that email and fly.
They read it Monday, and you did not have an incident - all is well.
If there was an incident, then they know why because of your notification.

Make sure to include name/ registration, time of flight, estimated duration, max altitude expected, distance and direction from the airport.

But what if the DJI APP has it as a no fly zone?
I tried at two untowered airports, both with a red flag « cannot take off » on the app, and both requiring manager’s approval.

Now what?

Thanks

But what if the DJI APP has it as a no fly zone?
I tried at two untowered airports, both with a red flag « cannot take off » on the app, and both requiring manager’s approval.

Now what?

Thanks

Manager approval is for commercial purposes.
And it is used overseas I just read - blanket statement to cover most situations.
For the US, just notification purposes, not asking permission.

You should be able to unlock the yellow zones.
When you attempt to take off, follow the prompts.

Last edited:
IMG_1182.jpgIMG_1181.jpg

Alas, I do not see any prompts to do what you offered....

I find ironic that I landed a few minutes ago in a “manned” aircraft, but I can not switch and become a pilot of an “unmanned” ship.

View attachment 4818View attachment 4819

I find ironic that I landed a few minutes ago in a “manned” aircraft, but I can not switch and become a pilot of an “unmanned” ship.
You can't fly in a "restricted zone". (red areas) You can only unlock "authorization zones". (yellow areas)

If you "landed minutes ago in a manned aircraft", that aircraft likely had flight authorization. You, apparently, do not.

View attachment 4818View attachment 4819

Exactly right.
Move into the yellow zone and the prompt will be different.
That is Class D airspace - same as my home town.
Inner no-fly ring and outer "altitude restricted" ring.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks guys. I didn’t realize that the inner circle is red. I expected as red as a national park or TFR.

So if I understand correctly, I will never be able to take a shot of my airplane on the ramp. Because even if I move to the yellow circle, Email the manager, and follow the prompts to go airborne, I will still be restricted and unable to go toward the no fly zone. Correct?

I am sorry but I am still laughing that the FAA authorizes me to land my 31,058 Lbs corporate jet, but they won’t let me take off a 0.66 Lbs at the air door steps.

Such is life...

PS: by the way, this is not a class D airport, which would require a tower. This is a class G airspace. Uncontrolled airport, and the only traffic they see today is us.

You must remember, it is DJI denying the flight with the software GEO lock.
My home made PixHawk based flight controller will take off there just fine - no DJI Software/ Firmware.

However, like my county airport here has a local policy no drone launch or landings on the airport property.
You never know what an airport may post for policy.

No go fly that mountain "Crazy Peak" to the north of you :D

Oh, I see it is class E -

Last edited:
And that’s another thing that is interesting: the gliderport I fly at is not restricted by DJI. Yet on weekends it sees a lot more traffic that this airport in the middle of Montana I am sitting currently. Would love to know how DJI bases its criteria on.

Ah well.

And that’s another thing that is interesting: the gliderport I fly at is not restricted by DJI. Yet on weekends it sees a lot more traffic that this airport in the middle of Montana I am sitting currently. Would love to know how DJI bases its criteria on.

Ah well.

I know what you mean.
Class E County airport here has no DJI restrictions.
But the Class E municipal airport in my home town has a DJI restriction.

I bet it has to do with instrument approaches. I bet the first airport you mentionned can not be flown into in bad weather, while the second one has an approach of some type. Makes a lot of sense actually now that I think about it. The FAA probably told DJI that they do not want drones operated while a manned pilot is trying to see the runway between the clouds.

Guess I answered my own question. I will continue to search for an airport that I land at, that will allow me to Take-off a drone.

Good luck with that it seems.

I bet it has to do with instrument approaches. I bet the first airport you mentionned can not be flown into in bad weather, while the second one has an approach of some type. Makes a lot of sense actually now that I think about it. The FAA probably told DJI that they do not want drones operated while a manned pilot is trying to see the runway between the clouds.

Guess I answered my own question. I will continue to search for an airport that I land at, that will allow me to Take-off a drone.

Good luck with that it seems.

That could very well be.
Although that first airport is considered the "crosswind capitol" of Texas.
Everyone comes here for crosswind touch and go practice.

But to think of it, both airports have an "OMNI Station" in close proximity.

Ok. Thanks guys. I didn’t realize that the inner circle is red. I expected as red as a national park or TFR.

So if I understand correctly, I will never be able to take a shot of my airplane on the ramp. Because even if I move to the yellow circle, Email the manager, and follow the prompts to go airborne, I will still be restricted and unable to go toward the no fly zone. Correct?

I am sorry but I am still laughing that the FAA authorizes me to land my 31,058 Lbs corporate jet, but they won’t let me take off a 0.66 Lbs at the air door steps.

Such is life...

PS: by the way, this is not a class D airport, which would require a tower. This is a class G airspace. Uncontrolled airport, and the only traffic they see today is us.
You probably/possibly could apply to DJI for a Custom Unlock.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock

You will need to submit documentation showing that you have authorization to fly in that location. And it takes 5 days.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Thank you, I will certainly look into it!

Alas, when at work, I never know where I will end up. I am kind of a UBER driver with a business jet. But when I fly for pleasure in a single engine, I can plan a lot more. So good to know there are waivers!

Hi, I will be at a cottage this summer on a small lake in Indiana. There are no airports around, but the map shows sea planes. Who would I notify to fly in this case?

Thank you!

Hi, I will be at a cottage this summer on a small lake in Indiana. There are no airports around, but the map shows sea planes. Who would I notify to fly in this case?

Thank you!

You could also enter a NOTAM through this service:
Flight Service
Create a free account, go to SUAS and select planning.
Use Google Maps to determine where you are and enter the coordinates, appropriate time of flight and duration.
I would post it Friday before your weekend and put it through for all weekend.
I suggest Friday because it takes a minimum of 24 hours notice required.

You still need to notify, but this helps get the word out to pilots.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe