Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New user checking in, hello everyone!

Notch444

Join
Dec 24, 2023
Hey everyone, I just got a "slightly used" DJI Spark with 64GB SIM card and remote controller on OfferUp for $115.00. I figured it was a steal since I've paid more than that over the past 10 years on numerous "toy drones". I got everything sync'd and tried flying it when I got messages about the FAA requirements. I assume that is why I was able to get the drone so cheap.

Using manual overrides I've been able to fly it at under 40 ft. and have been very impressed with its stability compared to all the toy drones I've had in the past. I got my certificate and registered it with the FAA, and learned that the RemoteID requirement has been extended 6 months to March 2024.

Has anyone heard anything about the Cube ID Serial Add On module from CubePilot? Is it compatible with the little Spark?.

Welcome to
Hey everyone, I just got a "slightly used" DJI Spark with 64GB SIM card and remote controller on OfferUp for $115.00. I figured it was a steal since I've paid more than that over the past 10 years on numerous "toy drones". I got everything sync'd and tried flying it when I got messages about the FAA requirements. I assume that is why I was able to get the drone so cheap.

Using manual overrides I've been able to fly it at under 40 ft. and have been very impressed with its stability compared to all the toy drones I've had in the past. I got my certificate and registered it with the FAA, and learned that the RemoteID requirement has been extended 6 months to March 2024.

Has anyone heard anything about the Cube ID Serial Add On module from CubePilot? Is it compatible with the little Spark?.
Welcome to the Spark community. Don't know anything about the cube add on. When you first start flying the Spark there's a beginners mode that limits your altitude and distance. Once you get thru that I think you'll be able to use the full capabilities. Good luck!

Reactions: Notch444
Welcome to the forum! :)

Cube ID Serial Add On module from CubePilot?
The documentation states you must "connect the CAN or Serial port on module and flight controller with the suitable cable(we provide 4 Pin CAN cable,6 Pin and 8 pin Serial cable)" -- which means it won't be compatible with the Spark.

The Holy Stone RID module is one option that will work with the Spark.

learned that the RemoteID requirement has been extended 6 months to March 2024
I don't think that's accurate. See more details here.

DJI is not going to release a firmware update to make the Spark compliant, so you'll need to purchase an RID module either way. And since RID module are readily available, there seems to be nothing holding you back from being compliant.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: Spark 317

Welcome Notch 444 great buy you will get a great amount of pleasure out of your spark provided you don’t crash it and overcome the restrictions and continue to get batteries for it I have gone through 6 batteries each doing about 150 charges I believe the Spark to be one of the most reliable and sturdy drone made hopefully you will get as many years as I have happy flying I can give you one good tip , that is they don’t like ho weather around the 28 cel it does a little dance jumping up and down about 2ft off the ground, never take off and fly until the Lady tells you ( home point updated please check it on map . Happy flying. Engie Queensland Australia.

Welcome, check your menu settings. You should be able to fly higher than 40 feet. Is a software up-to-date? Also look at the holy stone module. It works perfect on the spark check the threads out on the RID holystone. it is available at Amazon and there’s a coupon code somewhere in the threads for $18 off and much cheaper than the cube pilot

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Notch444.

Looks like you're getting good advice so far. 👍

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

hi

Welcome to

Welcome to the Spark community. Don't know anything about the cube add on. When you first start flying the Spark there's a beginners mode that limits your altitude and distance. Once you get thru that I think you'll be able to use the full capabilities. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I've gotten it out of beginner's mode now, but my house is in a restricted fly zone because I'm just a little bit too close to Houston's International Airport. I'm right on the borderline though and can get out of the restricted area if I just exit my neighborhood.

Welcome Notch 444 great buy you will get a great amount of pleasure out of your spark provided you don’t crash it and overcome the restrictions and continue to get batteries for it I have gone through 6 batteries each doing about 150 charges I believe the Spark to be one of the most reliable and sturdy drone made hopefully you will get as many years as I have happy flying I can give you one good tip , that is they don’t like ho weather around the 28 cel it does a little dance jumping up and down about 2ft off the ground, never take off and fly until the Lady tells you ( home point updated please check it on map . Happy flying. Engie Queensland Australia.
Thanks for the tips! I just need to move to Australia or pick up the Holy Stone RID module and I'll be good to go :-D

Welcome to the forum! :)

The documentation states you must "connect the CAN or Serial port on module and flight controller with the suitable cable(we provide 4 Pin CAN cable,6 Pin and 8 pin Serial cable)" -- which means it won't be compatible with the Spark.

The Holy Stone RID module is one option that will work with the Spark.

I don't think that's accurate. See more details here.

DJI is not going to release a firmware update to make the Spark compliant, so you'll need to purchase an RID module either way. And since RID module are readily available, there seems to be nothing holding you back from being compliant.
Hello msinger,

Thank you for the clarification, I wasn't sure if the Spark had the CAN or Serial port connections on it, but it sounds like the Holy Stone RID module works for everyone and there was even a coupon available for it (though I may have missed the date). Holystone it is then! I appreciate everyone who has responded, thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast